Bayview Watercolour Society
Call to Artists
Luminosity 2013 Exhibition
April 30-May 5 2013
McKay Art Centre, Main Street Unionville, Markham
(A selection of paintings will also be exhibited at The Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts immediately following the McKay Exhibition from May 6- May 31)
Closing date for entries: Midnight on Friday March 15
(No late entries will be accepted)
Juror: Bianka Guna CSPWC, SCA, TWS, OSA, IGA, CARFAC
Bianka Guna is a non-objective painter, an honors graduate illustrator from Minneapolis MN, US program, and beloved art teacher for a multitude of art groups and community centres in Ontario, Canada. She teaches watermedia (watercolour, acrylic, mixed media and collage) non-objective painting classes for adults, at the Toronto Koffler Art Centre, in her studio in the Distillery District Toronto or on situ for corporate companies. Bianka trained as an illustrator and has also painted landscapes, figures, portraits and still life in a variety of media.
An elected member of various prestigious art societies in Canada like CSPWC, SCA, TWS, OSA, IGA, CARFAC she has won several juried exhibitions in Canada and abroad and has participated in numerous group and solo shows. She has served as juror for several art competitions in Canada and abroad. Her distinctive contemporary work was purchased by private and corporate collectors in Canada, USA, Sweden, France, China, Australia, Romania, Israel, Russia, South Africa and the UK.
Reception and Award presentation Saturday, May 4, 4-6pm at the Mckay Art CentreThere will be awards for Best in show and Reserve Best in show. There will also be a portrait and figurative award, a landscape award, a still life award, a floral award, an abstract/ experimental award, an award for small paintings and an encouragement award. More details on the awards will follow once sponsorship has been finalised.
Conditions and Rules of Entry:
· The exhibition of original, water based media is open to all members of the Bayview Watercolour Society.
· Entries must be original works of art, entirely the work of the entrant. Digital images, prints, art work produced in a class or workshop, likenesses of other artists’ work including photos, or other published source or reference material not attributable to the artist will not be permitted.
· Entries must have been executed within the last three years and not exhibited in any previous BWS juried show.
· Entries must be framed, matted and have a professional appearance using archival materials in accordance with the BWS show guidelines. The painting must be ready for hanging with wire. No saw tooth hangers are permitted. Mats, when used, must be white, off white, or neutral in colour and of archival quality. Narrow frames are preferred.
· All entries must be executed in water-soluble media - transparent or opaque watercolour or acrylic done in either transparent or opaque manner, tempera, casein, inks and dyes, aqueous oils, water soluble pastels, watercolour pencils and gouache.
· Artists may not substitute another work after time of entry, nor withdraw that work once it has been entered. All paintings that are juried in will hang for the duration of the exhibit. Failure to meet any of these conditions will result in disqualification of the entry.
· Entries must be for sale and priced with the intent to sell and at a price that reflects the time taken to produce original artwork (Minimum price $100). Once entered, the price of your painting cannot be changed. A commission of 20% will be deducted from sales by BWS. Please bear this in mind and the cost of framing when stating your sale price. All paintings will hang for the duration of the exhibit.
· Utmost care will be taken in handling artwork however BWS and/or its representatives will not be responsible for damage or loss from any cause.
· A maximum of 45 paintings will be chosen by the juror to hang in the Luminosity exhibition. Artists who have work that is not accepted must collect their painting(s) between 3:30 and 4pm on Monday April 29 or incur a $25 storage fee. The juror’s decision is final.
· Awards will be judged from the original paintings on the afternoon of Monday April 29. The juror’s decision is final.
·Any painting sold within 30 days after the closing of the exhibit as a result of having been exhibited in the 2013 Luminosity Exhibition at the Mckay gallery or at the Richmond Hill Centre for the performing Arts must pay the exhibition commission of 20% to BWS.
· Permission is assumed by BWS to reproduce accepted artwork for
promotional use. Digital images of accepted works will be retained for the BWS archives.
· Please make sure that your 2013-14 membership is renewed early by the March 15 entry deadline to be eligible for entry.
How to Enter:
· Entries must be received by Midnight on Friday March 15 2013. ($15 for the first painting and $5 each for any additional paintings.) No late entries will be accepted.
· Entry is limited to a maximum of three paintings per artist two must be no bigger than 24 x 34 inches outside dimensions of frame or canvas or equivalent square inches. A third can be submitted if the canvas or framed painting is no bigger than 8 by 10 inches.
For each painting please provide:
2. Image size (in inches)
3. Frame size (outside dimensions)
4. Medium used watercolour, acrylic or mixed media (if mixed media please specify which variety of media used)
5. Price (both framed price and the price of the painting matted but without frame to sell unframed)
6. Choice of sitting time or if you volunteer to help with hanging. Please indicate 1st and 2nd choice from the list below. All artists submitting work/s for jurying must agree to either sit show or help with hanging. Paintings will not be accepted for show unless one of these duties is fulfilled.
Hanging/decorating the exhibition
Wednesday 10 am- 2pm
Thursday 10 am- 2pm
Thursday evening 4:30-8pm
Friday 10 am- 2pm
Saturday 10 am- 2pm
Saturday 4 pm-8pm
Sunday 10 am- 2pm
7. A sentence or two about each painting for the exhibition labels.
8. Write either:
a) I am willing to allow one of my paintings to be exhibited at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts following the McKay exhibition. (Your selected painting will need to be delivered to the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts on Monday May 6 at 11:00 am. Pickup will be Friday May 31 at 10:00 am)
or b) I do not wish to have a painting exhibited at the Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts following the McKay exhibition.
Entries will not be accepted until the information for #1-8 is provided.
Please e mail all the information above to Jean Patterson email@example.com otherwise your entry will not be processed.
· BWS reserves the right to refuse, upon arrival, any painting with a damaged frame/canvases or inappropriate hanging system before jurying.
·Painting labels and instructions on how to use them will be provided two weeks before the exhibition opens
We will let you know your exact volunteer time by email after April 15 once the sitting schedule has been compiled.
Delivery and collection of paintings: Paintings should be hand delivered to the McKay Art Centre between 12:30 -1:15pm on Monday April 29. You will also be required to pay the appropriate entry fee at this time. (No refunds will be given for paintings not accepted into the exhibition)
Paintings not accepted into the show must be collected between 3:30 and 4pm on Monday April 29.
At the end of the exhibition paintings need to be collected between 5:30-6pm on Sunday May 5. Any painting not collected will be subject to a $25 per day storage fee made payable to BWS.
Any person with paintings in the exhibition is entitled to submit cards, giclee prints, small gifts or matted original paintings FREE OF CHARGE. An e mail will go out to the artists after March 15 requesting information. All items need to be presented in crystal clear bags or equivalent professional presentation. Prices need to be clearly labelled on each item. 20% of all sales during the exhibition will be taken by BWS. Items to be displayed in the store must have their pricing and display approved by a BWS executive member by April 15.